Thursday, December 22, 2011

This too shall pass

I face the end of the old year with the end of my old job. Just ten days before Christmas I was laid off. For the first time ever I cried over losing a job. I had really enjoyed this one and loved the people I worked with. I feel so down-hearted, but I also knew that something like this was coming. If nothing else my hours would be cut back. The business for my department had taken some large hits over the last year.

On Monday I went back in to distribute the presents I had bought everybody there, including the dogs. They were tiny, inexpensive things that I couldn't really return - or was it that I didn't have the heart to? At any rate, I was able to say some goodbyes I hadn't been able to the previous Thursday. They had let me go after the rest of the staff had left for the day. I got to say Merry Christmas, and I got to pat one last dog. I was also able to send a message no hard feelings. I had said if they needed me for any contract work that they could still call on me. This helped to show that I meant it with no ill will toward them.

So I am now gearing up for the job search. I spent more than an hour dialing the phone and two and a half hours on hold to get through to the unemployment office this morning. I couldn't apply online because I had a worker's comp claim this year. It turned out to be a serendipitous occurrence. The lady there was able to tell me that if I wait until Jan. 1 to file then I will receive $60 more a week. She marked my file so that I can apply online this time. The only reason they needed to talk with me was to ascertain whether my unemployment was related to my worker's comp claim. I feel much more relaxed about things now.

Of course, the first thing I had to do was buy a new computer. That was a pretty hefty financial blow, but thanks to Christmas sales, I think I made a good job of it. This time off will also give me the time I need to continue writing my book. That part I am definitely looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment